Crew TangoForge is in recovery from a spectacular 3 weeks. We’re still transforming the studio from dormitory back to school. We haven’t had time for video editing yet so in lieu of technicolor I want to send you a few words about what just happened.
The Seminar Compañeros TangoForge included dancers from 8 countries. By the end of the week 5 women marked for the first time in milongas. The final day of the seminar, we reviewed the material for the week and learned to coach one another, so that everyone can go home and build practice groups. Everyone was surprised to realize how much new material was in their dance. It was our first attempt to live and teach together in a dormitory, and facilitated by two community coordinators, Renou and Leander Baar, it was a delicious and sweet experience. Every student had two private lessons, one with me and one with Apprentice Swan who was the co-teacher during the week. The local students joined in by loaning camping mats, joining the seminar, and contributing to the much-needed celebrations.
We had 14 dancers in our show, “The Tradition is Transgressive” with DJ and Saxman Michael Rühl at the Berlin Hauptbahnhof as part of the Contemporary Tango Festival 2017. In the show we linked tango to its diasporic brethren, hiphop and jazz. We created a show to empower 6 dancers to make their first performances successfully (including the TangoForge apprentices, Stefan, Swan, and Yoko, and one student dancing only 6 months), by using our improvisation drills as the base for short dances. We used characters and costumes to impart courage and a shared story. Through this process we created a new style for TangoForge, hip hop artists working together in community, with a bit of gangsta bravado and plenty of gold chains. Our show was modeled on breakdance crew practices, in which everyone encourages the other dancers, who enter the circle when moved by music and spirit to share their art. I was supported in my second performance as a Mark by the gorgeous and patient Jessica Förster. We had an amazing camera team, including Pez, Fritz, Franz, and Anders wielding our new GoPro. In the final moment, a new friend, Carlos Libedinsky, joined our show…
Just a few days after the Seminar ended, Germain “Mano” Cascales arrived from Paris for two truly Extreme Impro shows on Carlos’ new musical projects, Duo Libedinsky & Castro and #Fueye. In these dances, our 5th production together, our remarkable artistic collaboration continued to evolve. The intensity and commitment to risk is such a tight connection to one another and the music that many observers simply could not believe it was not choreographed. In fact we drew on all of 90 minutes of practice in the last 6 months and preparation of a few movements that we didn’t use in the show. The songs were too new to have names, “and anyway”, said Carlos “we’re gonna improvise.” And we did.
Here are some photos from the preparations, rehearsals, and seminar. Show videos coming soon.
In focus photos by Pez, out of focus by Vio, costume check by Sofya.
TangoForge Seminar Program and Schedule
You are warmly welcome to the Second Annual TangoForge Seminar Encuentro Compañeros in Berlin from 28 August – 2 September, 2017.
We invite you to join us for a 10-day period with six days of seminar, 28.Aug-2.Sept and two weekends of dancing. 24-27 August are the last three nights of the Contemporary Tango Festival, with live music every night in the Hauptbahnhof (free and no registration required). 24.August is TangoForge’s artistic evening at the Festival, entitled “The Tradition is Transgressive“.
See our detailed guide to food, transport, and milongas to make your trip easy and delicious.
Monday 28.August-Saturday 2.August
11:00-12:00 Yoga & Private Lessons
14:00-15:30 Lunch Break Practica
18:00-19:30 Practica de la Tarde
Tuesday-Sunday 22-27.August Play with us at the Contemporary Tango Festival
Monday 28.August THEME The two hardest moves in tango
Tuesday 29.August THEME Sacadas Everywhere!
Wednesday 30.August THEME Trusting Tango
Thursday 31.August THEME Maximizing Pleasure
|At the convenience of the students, private lessons will also be scheduled on the weekend prior to the seminar and the Sunday concluding the seminar.||
Friday 1.September THEME Sweet Ganchos
Saturday 2.September THEME TBA
Sunday 3.September Farewell dances
The seminar welcomes all levels except absolute beginners. We make friends doing basic exercises across levels, then we cluster by level for dancing.
Our students dance every exercise in both roles. With our teaching techniques, Women quickly get over their anxiety about marking and Men enjoy a new world of tango experience.
We create an atmosphere of healthy and liberated tango, in which dancers have gentle, kind, and dialogic relations and discover more pleasure with more partners.
Every student will receive a 45 minute private lesson with Vio and a 45 minute private practice with one of the TangoForge Apprentices.
Three TangoForge Apprentices have been training all year and they are now confident and experienced teachers to assist you: Stefan, Yoko, and Maren-Swan.
On-site massage with Jaina Hirai Healing Massage.
You can use the kitchen to prepare your own food if you want to.
Daily yoga and practicas!
All classes will be translated to Deutsch. Japanese and Castellano translation is also available. If you need Italiano or Français, please let us know in advance.
For those who were with us in 2016, click here for what we’re doing differently this year.
- You can walk everywhere, so you may not even need to buy a transit ticket!
- <15 min walking from 6 milongas: Clärchens Spiegelsaal, El Ocaso, Nou Tango (2x/week), and the beautiful outdoor Monbijoux Park (2x/week).
- Two stops on the S-bahn and latenight Sunday direct nightbus from Tangoloft (or a 30 minute walk.)
- Direct bus from the doorstep <10min delivery to Hauptbahnof for Contemporary Tango Festival AND all all-night Tram to get home, 5 minutes walk from the Studio. (Or you can walk home, 25 minutes)
- We are surrounded with great restaurants, bakeries, biodelis, farmers markets… Food Guide.
- Walking distance from Museum Island, the Museum of the Wall, Kulturbrauerei (Museum of East German daily life), and the Mauerpark. More info.
- My complete guide to arriving from the airport/train, where to eat so you are delighted by every € you spend on food, museum advice for daytime during the CTF, and even shopping…
My dream for the first TangoForge European seminar in 2015 was to rent a flat so students could sleep, eat, and practice together. This year my dream comes true!
We will be able to accommodate 10 students sleeping in the Studio. The remaining places are on camping mats on the floor.
The dormitory opens on 22.August and closes on 3.September.
- We do not have an electronic entry system, so keys and access will require good communication among the stayers and means that the doorbuzzer will be ringing throughout the night.
- We have 1.5 bathrooms and an “on-demand” constant hot water heater, so everyone can take a shower sequentially and we will never run out of hot water.
- We will be sleeping in the studio space, so this means that beds and personal items will need to be cleared by 11:00 every morning. We recommend packing in a roomy large zipper duffel bag to make sure you can collect all your stuff in one place and access it easily (rather than a backpack or several small bags).
There are a number of hotels and hostels nearby. Use googlemaps to explore the Mitte area. There are some suggestions in my Guide.
6-days seminar includes Biomechanics and Yoga, 2 Private Lessons, up to 13 nights sleeping
6-days seminar includes Biomechanics and Yoga, 2 Private Lessons NO sleeping
You may register by credit card using our secure payment processing system driven by Stripe. We will not see your credit card details. This website is secure and protected by SSL.
You may register by electronic bank transfer to this account: IBAN DE13430609671170841800 Konto: Starr BLZ 43060967 BIC GENODEM1GLS
If you pay by electronic bank transfer, please secure your place by immediately sending an email to office@TangoForge.com.
Since the sleeping price is already very cheap, no discounts will be given for shorter stay. (Thank you for understanding that this is just too much distracting extra logistics for us.)
In the case of cancellation, we will try to find someone from the wait-list to replace you, or you may transfer your registration to another person.
Prices were increased on 6.August to compensate the extra logistics for late registrations.
For those who were us for Seminar 2016, some changes
- All new curriculum.
- Private room for sessions with Jaina Hirai Healing Massage.
- This year’s Seminar will be fewer students than last year, maximum enrollment is 26.
- Vio will teach the Biomechanics class and all classes will be TangoForge technique.
- We have only one Seminar theme each day, but with more time to explore it + Biomechanics as before + 2 Practicas per day.
- Longer breaks – with really delicious protein shakes this time.
- No lunch service on site, so we will not be distracted by preparing your lunch/table
- This year we will not be preparing a performance during the week of the TangoForge Seminar! Our performance is several days before the seminar, on 24.August.