In 2018, TangoForge takes a new focus.
I feel that I have completed my pedagogic work with Tango. Any student who wants to learn tango as I understand it can study through the Digital School. Our video MasterCourse offers complete technique and systems of improvisation for every element in the Tango Lexicon. The KnowledgeBase encyclopedia offers quick reference as well as disambiguation. Our solo home practice courses enable dancers to begin and continue their training at home and our Exercise Center, included with every Digital School enrollment, enables dancers to learn more about their bodies. We devote 2 days per week to producing new videos, post-production and reediting, improving the user interface, and refining these materials.
I am vastly reducing my live teaching. Here is what I will continue to do:
- Private Lessons, because it’s very meaningful for me to have a chance to connect individually with dancers. (Now with online booking.)
- Our Annual Seminar Encuentro Compañeros TangoForge
- Tour Weekends
All other travel and events, and the focus of my tango work will shift to developing AlterTango. This means three things:
- Expressing Tango as an art form and cultural practice beyond the milonga (for performances and alternative social dancing events)
- Collaborations with musicians, striving for profound improvisational experiences.
- Promoting tango to the people I want to be dancing with in 15 years: yogis, ninjas, retired professional dancers, and athletes
These goals will result in special events as part of all tour weekends, and the Annual Seminar.
We want to collaborate with local organizers and DJs to create weekends which bring TangoForge to local communities not anymore for exhausting workshops (all this information is now online) but for encouraging artistry among local dancers, connecting with new local communities, and organizing unique experiences with musicians. We will teach only two workshops during the weekend and one public beginner’s class.
Components of TangoForge Tour Weekend
- Building the Compañeros Community: Encuentro Practicas
- Altertango events with musicians, or dancing tango at a concert
- TangoForge Extreme Impro performance to inspire and encourage dancers.
- Public beginner’s class advertised to local Yoga and Martial Arts studios