This bread has no leavening (rising agent). It needs no rising time. It requires no kneading. It has no grain.
It’s vegan, gluten-free, and keto.
And it’s great toasted.
It does require a food processor to pulverize the psyllium which contributes elasticity so the bread seems moist and doesn’t fall apart.
Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Chop 160g of “mixed nuts”* using the metal blade for 5 seconds at 1/2 speed. Remove from bowl and set aside.
- Add 120g “cracked” flax (linseed) and 40g psyllium seed husks** and pulverize using the blade attachment for 10 seconds at full speed
- Add 420g water and mix 5 seconds using a plastic attachment, then let the dough sit for 2 minutes
- Return the nuts to the mixer. Add 100g sunflower seeds and 50g pumpkin seeds, 5ml salt, 40g olive oil, 30g almond butter and mix slowly (mixing attachment or by hand)
Put the dough in a regular bread loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes.
Remove from the pan, invert, and bake on the oven rack for an additional 35 to 40 minutes.
* Raw unsalted nuts: Mario uses a mix of hazelnuts, walnuts, cashews, and almonds. You can change the mix to your taste. Try pecans, pistachios, pine nuts, brazil nuts, cocoa beans, macadamias, and chestnuts.
•• Flax seeds can be purchased whole (they are very hard and difficult to pulverize) or cracked, which is easier to manage. Psyllium seeds can also be purchased whole, but this recipe calls only for the husks.